We advocate for policies and practices that support breastfeeding, chestfeeding and human milk feeding in Durham.
Breastfeeding Family Friendly Communities
- The community’s elected or appointed leadership has a written statement of policy supporting breastfeeding.
- The community provides a welcoming atmosphere for breastfeeding families.
- Early and Exclusive breastfeeding for up to 6 months and continued breastfeeding for at least a year are encouraged.
- During pregnancy, all families in the community are informed about the benefits of breastfeeding and where to access support as needed.
- Health care in the community is breastfeeding-friendly.
- Non-health system breastfeeding support groups and services are fully available in the community.
- The business and social organizations in the community provide a welcoming atmosphere for breastfeeding families.
- Local businesses and healthcare clinics/offices follow the principles of the International Code of Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes.
- The US Business Case for Breastfeeding is promulgated by the U.S. government Department of Health and Human Services and the Chamber of Commerce.
- Education systems are encouraged to include breastfeeding-friendly curricula at all levels.
Breastfeed Durham began working the 10 steps in the spring of 2018. We continue to make progress.
Please contact us with any feedback or questions.