|We wanted to take a moment to re-post a fantastic article from Family Forward NC. Facts About Breastfeeding at Work and Resources to Support Breastfeeding Employee. Family Forward is a phenomenal resource for employers in North Carolina. |
Employers can play a big role in supporting breastfeeding employees and ensuring they meet their breastfeeding goals for their family.
Below are 5 facts about breastfeeding (and supporting breastfeeding employees) along with three resources to get you started on your way toward becoming a breastfeeding-friendly employer.
1. Lactation accommodations at work provide a 3 to 1 return on investment for employers.
2. Sixty percent of mothers do not breastfeed for as long as they intend to, and unsupportive workplace policies are one of the top reasons mothers stop.
3. Breastfeeding offers numerous health and well-being benefits for babies and mothers.
4. According to the most recent Workplace Health in America Survey by the CDC, 46 percent of worksites offer some sort of health promotion programming, but only 8 percent offer lactation resources.
5. When employees feel supported by their employer to meet their breastfeeding goals, they are more productive, more committed to their employer, and happier at their job.
Ready to get started building your support program for breastfeeding workers? Our Guide to Family Forward Workplaces can help. You can also check out the NC Breastfeeding Coalition’s toolkit and checklist for employers.