Groups, Meetings, and Classes
For now, most groups are being offered virtually due to COVID-19. Please check in with each group as things begin to open up more.
Beyond Birth Lactation Group
- The group will meet every Wednesday at 2:30 via Zoom. It is free to all AND donations are welcome!
- The group will be facilitated by Lorraine Rocco. Click here to see her bio.
- To RSVP, email Lorraine at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you RSVP a Zoom link will be provided.
Collaboration: Family Connects, Early Head Start Home Based, and Healthy Families
- When: The 2nd Thursday of the month from 2pm – 3pm, El segundo jueves del mes de 2pm – 3pm
- Where: Virtually from your home! Your nurse or home visitor will send you the link to join either through email or text. English 919-519-4834, Española 919-699-6687
- What: Judgement-free breastfeeding support! We will discuss breastfeeding in quarantine. We will also have plenty of time for a general Q&As. Discutiremos amamantar en la cuarentena. También tendremos mucho tiempo para contestar cualquier pregunta que tengan sobre amamantar.
Durham County Department of Public Health
- Prenatal education classes offered once per month typically on the fourth Friday at 2 PM
- Contact Kathleen Gloria with questions
- Lamaze Child Birth Preparation
- Two-hour “Live” Zoom “Breastfeeding 101” class is offered monthly.
- Registration available at this link: https://www.hugyourbaby.org/parenting101
- A full-service birth and postpartum doula agency offering the following free support groups and meetupsNew Moms Groups, Moms of Color Group, Perinatal Mood Group, New Dads Meet-up, LGBTQ New Parent Group
- Weekly New Parent Hangout (free) -register here
If you have concerns about milk supply or any questions about starting or maintaining a breastfeeding relationship during this time, you have options locally at no cost, La Leche League (LLL) of Durham and many other La Leche League Meetings across the USA have moved to an online platform due to concerns over the spread of coronavirus/COVID-19. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL LEADERS OR CHECK THEIR ONLINE PAGES FOR ADDITIONAL INFO. https://lllusa.org/locator/.
- La Leche League of Durham
- LLL of Chapel Hill
- Meetings in English offered once a month on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- Hay un grupo de la Liga de La Leche para las madres que necesitan un tribu de otras mamás que amamantar a sus babes. Se llama “La lactancia materna” y está en la aplicación de WhatsApp. Para más información, le puede contactar a Wendy Mateos a 910-638-3985.
- Online: meet.google.com/rzu-feum-wio
- 1st Thursday of Each Month 7:00-8:30pm
- 3rd Thursday of Each Month 9:30-11:00am
- The NC Women’s Hospital now is offering Virtual Breastfeeding classes in English. Registration and payment for that class is done through their site: www.NCHealthyWoman.org.
- NC Women’s Hospital also is offering a complimentary support Networking Group called MOM (Mentoring Other Mothers) where different themes are covered, including breastfeeding. Even though this is a free weekly service, mothers and expecting moms need to register at their website.
- Classes on what to expect in the first few hours, days, and weeks of your breastfeeding journey. Learn how often a baby needs to eat, how much milk baby needs, how to increase your milk supply, and tips and tricks for pumping and building a breast milk stash. Being offered for free during Covid.
- Provides practical, educational, and emotional support to parents and caregivers of young children. All services are free and conducted in English and Spanish for residents of Durham County who are expecting and/or have children 0-5 years of age. Services include parenting workshops, car seat safety programs, and a giving closet.
- Check Facebook page for current hours and offerings. Some services are different due to COVID-19.
WIC is conducting all appointments over the phone. The only time a client would need to come in to the office: If you have never had WIC
- Had WIC before e-wic
- Evaluate the need for a pump on a case by case basis: If a pump does need to be issued, WIC will make the decision as to whether you need to come to the WIC lobby area, or if WIC will meet you at the entrance where you can stay in their car.
- Durham: Durham County WIC resources are available through the Durham County Health Department at 919-956-4042.
- Orange: Orange County WIC resources are available through the Piedmont Health Services, Inc (located within the Orange County Health Department) at 919-245-2422.
- Wake: Wake County WIC resources are available on the Wake County Services website and at 919250-4720.
- WIC Support Groups
Call Family Connects Durham (no cost)Family Connects Durham is continuing nurse visits through telehealth during this time. If you are giving birth at Duke or Duke Regional expect a phone call to your postpartum room phone! If they don’t catch you or you birth somewhere else please feel free to reach out to us online or by phone! 919-385-0777